Internship Opportunity Are you a journalism or communications student hoping to gain some experience in your field?
Are you looking to get your foot in the door and build your resume?
Are you hard-working, motivated, and a talented writer?
Come and work with us at MyBasicNews, a cornerstone in local, national, and international news. MyBasicNews seeks to provide local and global communities with informative, analytical, and opinion-based news. We are journalism at its core.
RESPONSIBILITIES: You will cover local news and business stories. You’ll be expected to report on, write, and submit an article to be posted on the news website.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must be actively working toward an undergraduate or graduate degree and must be eligible to work in the U.S. College graduates may qualify if you’ve finished school within six months of the start of the internship. Applicants for the visual journalism and most reporting internships must have a valid driver’s license and access to a car in good working condition. Internships are for students who have not worked professionally as staff journalists. Little training is offered, so previous internship experience is preferred. All candidates must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time. A strong applicant should be reliable, self-motivated, flexible, team-oriented, professional, and client-focused.
- Ability to work in a professional environment
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships
- Administrative, organizational, and detail orientation skills desired
- Good communication skills, well-spoken and articulate on the phone and in an office setting
- Proficiency in the use of social media outlets
- Experience with Microsoft software applications (PowerPoint, Word, Excel)
- Experience with event and project management
- Strong problem solving, decision making, and planning skills
- Strong organization with the ability to set priorities
- Strong writing and grammatical skills, ability to write clearly and concisely
PAY: Every internship is for school credit, letter of reference, with the potential for future pay. You will be expected to commit to 4 hours per day, 5 days a week. Internships run for 8 weeks with possibility of extension.
PLACEMENT: We are looking for reporting interns for all departments, including metro and local news, sports, business, all feature departments (home, image, travel, food, mind & body), arts & entertainment, and editorial pages.